08 January 2011

Good Things...

This morning I woke up to sunshine and snow!  A light dusting of fresh stuff on the balcony, a few stray flakes falling and the gentle warmth of the winter sun.  A perfectly gorgeous start to the weekend, just when the Korean winter was starting to drag a bit...

...and speaking of the long, cold winter (it very rarely gets above zero degrees Celsius at the moment), having survived my first month I promise to never ever speak disdainfully of earmuffs again.  They might look a bit silly, but gosh they are actually damn sensible.  Life (ear?) savers. These beauties are from Muji.  I love Muji.  I have been slowly growing my earmuff collection, as I keep leaving the house without them and then am forced to pick up a pair when my head starts to go all tingly with the cold. (ps. if any of you know how I can get my hands on the Muji x LEGO goodies I would be eternally grateful...)

I know it wasn't on my list of creative goals for 2011 but I have got to try sashiko this year. Sashiko (which, according to Wikipedia, literally means 'little stabs'!) is a kind of Japanese embroidery, and to me it is everything wonderful and good.  I can't wait to give it a go.  I think this introductory how-to from The Purl Bee will be a good starting point.  (Photo is from good-ness, whose photostream I have just fallen in love with.)

Korea has some great lifestyle / home decor magazines that I regularly buy and drool over.  This kids rooms is from the January issue of Lemon Tree - isn't it great?  I especially love that tree-shelf. My dream craft room would look a bit like this, I think.  But with way more storage.  Way more.

As you might expect, my sister has a knack for getting me ace presents.  This amazing paper-craft book was part of my xmas package.  Every page is bursting with seriously good stuff.  Thanks sis!




5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Emily - what a feast of a post!

    I love the pics and the ear muffs ... and the paper craft book looks fab!

    Sashiko is on my list for 2011 too ... I love the clean lines (and the fact that it's just straight stitch!)

    Can't wait to get going ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And yes - I adore the clean lines of sashiko too (problem is, I haven't been known for my ability to sew/cut/draw in straight lines in the past...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your earmuffs! Muji is brilliant, so many lovely things although I always feel that they really ought to be in the life of someone cleaner and more organised than me...Love the pictures in the book too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos - sunshine and snow, what a wonderful combination
    ... those earmuffs look adorable and so very warm, I completely understand the addiction.

    I'm going to investigate sashiko further ... looks beautiful, if it's not too hard I may just give it a go too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to have found your blog! I have never heard of sashiko, but will definitely check it out...although, straight lines and me...?
    Love, love, love that paper craft book!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.