10 November 2012

Watching Whales

So I just got back from a whirlwind trip of awesome - I had 24 hours in Hong Kong where I met the ridiculously lovely Cat from Raspberry Rainbow. Then I had 24 hours in Melbourne to hang out with the family, celebrate the launch of Find and Keep, and read the nephews a bed time story (or two!). 

And then I headed to Port Stephens in NSW to watch some freaking whales! We were out on the boat for three hours, it was rough (according to me and the seasick eldest step son anyhow...) and it was awesome. We went with Imagine Cruises and they were so great. Because they've been doing it for so long all the sea critters seem to know the boat, so for a big chunk of the trip we had pods of dolphins following the boat, leaping and playing all around us. And then once we spied some humpbacks (two adults and a calf) they cut the motor and the enormous creatures came to check us out. It was so great. Really, really great. (Apologies to my fellow boat people, I may have shrieked in excitement a few times...). And it's only a few hours north of Sydney. The season is pretty much over this year, but I would so highly recommend going out next year. I have a feeling we'll be doing it again, maybe I'll see you there?

8 comments:

  1. That is really close! The last time I went whale watching was in Boston, and it was rather far!

    Sounds like a great trip, by the way, with precious quality hours spent here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that is amazingly close to whales and dolphins, I'd be squealing with excitement too!

    I am blushing, I have never been called "ridiculously lovely" before. It was just so great to meet you, you lovely gal! Any time you are in HK with spare time, let me know, ok? Cat xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you are ridiculously lovely Cat! And absolutely - next HK visit I'll be booking in some time! x

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic experience and looks like it was a beautiful day on the water. Sounds like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your 'step-son', 'husband' and 'whale' photo. It's so amazing you could see and be so close to them! I'm not a big boat person but I've always wanted to go whale watching… maybe one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - amazing! I've never been whale watching but so want to one day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was our first time too - I'd HIGHLY recommend it! Just remember to take the sea sick tablets if you're a big wuss like me!

      Delete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.