02 January 2013

A Snowy New Year!

Well hello there 2013*! You kind of snuck up on me... 

We had a pretty relaxed new years - roast lamb, chocolate pudding, staying cosy indoors. Seoul has had a ton of snow this winter. It's turned the streets into not-so-fun slippery dips but it looks oh so pretty, I'm still enamoured with it. 

In the morning on new years day I took the dogs for a walk (well actually I took Elfi for a walk and carried Ferdi most of the way...) and it started snowing just as we were turning for home. The kind of snow that's big and floaty. It made for a kind of magical start to the new year. 

Which was exactly what I needed as I realise I don't actually cope well with the new year. I lose my mojo, fall in a bit of a funk. I think partly it's the let down after all the build up to xmas, realising that all the festive frivolity is over. It's going back to doing the banking and organising dog vaccinations and filing the paperwork after two weeks of focussing on decorating, cooking, present wrapping. And there's more than a hint of exhaustion (what I would do for a day in bed reading! But that is not on the horizon for a little while yet). And there's the weight of expectation - a new year means exciting opportunities and possibilities, but I also feel a little heavy when I think of all the things, all the projects, all the lists... 

But! Today the sun is shining and the snow is sparkling, and I think I'm nearly out of the new year funk. So 2013, bring on the work and the changes and the chaos. Bring on the ups and the downs, the noisy times and the quiet moments. Bring on all the good things!

ps. What's a new year without some gratuitous tinsel bokeh?

*Yes, when I first published this post it welcomed in 2012. Because I'm an idiot. Or perhaps in denial. Sigh.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photographs! Such a contrast to Australian weather.
    I know what you mean about New Year Funk. I'm struggling to get back into the swing of things today but I'm sure it'll all fall into place soon. :)

    Happy New Year Emily!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Christmas blues and usually recover in time for the New Year. It's exactly as you mentioned, so much build up and work in preparation for a day that is over in a flash. It doesn't help that the days are so short and (here at least) the days are grey and wet. I hope you find solace in a hot beverage, productive day or wave of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.