16 January 2013

13 Things in 2013

I was tweeting the other day about how I'm always a little amazed by the new year posts that pop up in the first week of January. All those posts about goals and projects and words for the year ahead. I'm always a bit in awe of all those people that are so organised and forward thinking. 

I'm the kind of person who is a little taken aback by the new year, a bit 'oh hello, where did you come from?' (and from my twitter conversations it seems I'm not alone). I think I get so fixated on xmas that I forget there's a new year just around the corner. And then when it arrives I'm still eating leftovers and taking down decorations, when maybe I should've been creating some space to think about new projects and new paths. Which is not to say I don't think about those things, I do. I'm just a little late in doing it (hence my love of the lunar new year). 

This year promises to be another fun filled roller coaster ride and through it all there are some things I really, really want to make happen. And whilst I'm not a big fan of goals, I do love a list. And seeing as it's 2013 and 13 is a number I like (the house I grew up in was number 13, and as a kid I remember loudly and proudly telling people that whilst they might think it's an unlucky number I thought it was rather ace!), here are 13 things I'd like to do this year: 

1. Learn to use Photoshop Elements - I just had to renew my enrolment in Brandi Hussey's 'Editing with Elements' ecourse because I've been procrastinating over this so long. But it has to happen, and soon. So today I did the first three sections, go me! 

2. Learn a new photography skill - it might be how to work a flash or use a new lens or shoot in bright light. I'm not sure what yet, but I want to do a short course in something to keep the momentum of last year going. 

3. Do something with my 500px account. And submit some images to Alamay. And put my best ten together to submit to the Getty Images Flickr collection. Yep. It's gonna happen. For sure. (Maybe). 

4. Do a monthly project (like last years Collecting Colour). I pretty much know what I'm going to do here, I just have to put the graphics and the first post together. Stay tuned! 

5. Make one pom pom wreath every month. I've already started on this month's one and it is shaping up to be pretty awesome. 

6. Get through The Big Project without completely losing my mind. 

7. Do something with my hair. I wear it up every, single, day. Pulled back in a half knot/bun type thing. Yawn. Boring. I need help. Help!

8. Remember our wedding anniversary. I was thinking of making this 'remember all friend/family birthdays and send a card' but seeing as I've already missed my stepdads birthday I wouldn't be off to a stellar start on that one. And we always miss our wedding anniversary, which means we miss an opportunity to drink fancy champagne and eat decadently, which is just not on is it? 

9. Attend a workshop at either Harvest Workroom, Prints Charming or The School

10. Send more mail art. I have been failing terribly at this, but it's something I love so I will endeavour to make time for it. 

11. Read a book a month. At least. I've got two on the go right now - George Orwell's Coming Up For Air and The Story of English in 100 Words by David Crystal. 

12. Maintain my current fitness routine. Or maybe even ramp it up a little? 

13. Make a Collecting Colour calendar for 2014. Woah. This is planning so far in advance my head is spinning a little. I think I need a lie down and a cup of tea...

6 comments:

  1. Happy (belated) new year, lady. I can't get over the colour in those flowers. Amazing! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I should add #3 to my resolutions list as well. Those purple blooms are so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm terrible with new years resolutions I tend to make vague ones because I know I'll never keep them. I like to make plans more.

    I love you list of 13 things. They all sound like things you'll enjoy doing and get something out of. I'm looking forwrd to seeing what the monthly project is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Can't wait to see the result of those graet ideas / projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on point 9.. I always envy the Harvest Room courses I see posted but now with the school there are no interstate excuses to use. I'm going to try and squeeze in one this year! Prints Charming was good - not that I've used what I learnt since then but great to be in an environment like that as well - a whole studio committed to printing - I was overwhelmed with joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love some of these ideas! The calendar sounds great and worth starting early - I plan one every year but always start too late to get it done properly! Looking forward to seeing what this years project is going to be!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.