28 August 2010
Apologies for the total blog neglect but I have a good reason, I promise. I just spent a weekend in Sydney with the step-sons and then four fabulous hectic days in Melbourne catching up with friends and family, so wonderful! As typical of my Melbourne trips, it was a total food fest from start to finish - hurrah!
Some good things:
- Dinner at The Toff with my Mum and big sister, a seriously good family catch up. And the food! Freakin' amazing! Fresh, flavoursome Thai influenced food in smallish to-share serves which let you sample lots of different dishes (my favourite way to eat!). The spiced coconut, lime and lemongrass broth is heaven in a glass. And the Thai inspired cocktails are equally delicious.
- Hanging out with my Mum's new dog Jack, who is a bundle of energy and quite the charmer. (If Ferdi and Elfi are reading this, you know you are my favourite hounds...)
- Discovering some surprisingly good retail in my old hood (Kew), including Bingo Betty (note the lego light fixtures in the photo above)
- Spending time (though not nearly enough) with the nephews
- Lamb! Lamb is rather scarce in Asia (it's all about the pig and the chicken here) so whenever we go back to Australia it's nice to indulge - lamb roast, lamb cutlets, lamb skewers...
- Taking my completely mad but seemingly happy Grandma to lunch at the McClelland Sculpture Park - I never knew this place existed but it is fabulous. Beautiful native gardens full of sculpture, plus a gallery with interesting exhibitions and a lovely cafe. If you're ever in Melbourne's south east it's well worth a visit.
- Raiding my Mother-in-law's fabric stash. She's an avid quilter and has the most amazing fabric collection - a whole room full. And she's currently de-cluttering so she let me loose in there. Hurrah indeed!
- Lusting after all the mid-century modern goodness at 20th Century Scandinavia
ps. I also picked up a hideous head cold while I was there, not so good. If you have any fail safe remedies for clearing sinuses please let me know. I need help!