26 July 2011

Holiday Slideshow: Istanbul, Turkey

It was this stop on our cruise itinerary that gave us our 'Song of the Trip', which was of course Istanbul (Not Constantinople) by They Might Be Giants.  It was also this stop that I was most looking forward too.  My husband has been lucky enough to get to Istanbul three times previously, but I'd never been and it's probably been number one on my 'cities I want to visit list' (followed very closely by Chicago.  And St Petersburg.  And Jerusalem.  And...).

Istanbul did not disappoint.  It was sprawling and beautiful and delicious (and surprisingly clean and organised).  And chock full of aesthetic inspiration.  I think I have 100 photos of painted tiles - the colours, the patterns!  Oh my!  We spent most of our time at the Topkapi Palace (if you ever go there, it is well worth paying the extra money to see the Harem), but also managed to have a look at the Basilica Cistern and The Grand Bazaar.  I can't wait to return to Istanbul one day...

5 comments:

  1. It is so cool that you went to Turkey. I am from Turkey and Istanbul is my favorite place on earth.
    What did you like most?

    acupofsparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I was only there for a day but I could have spent a week in the Topkapi Palace alone! Also, I'd like to go back to the Bazaar without husband and step-sons who aren't big fans of shopping... And I want to go to every restaurant and cafe I can (I adore Turkish food!). Can't wait to go back sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am seriously envious! The tile photos are stunning. They remind me of Liberty fabrics and William Morris wallpaper... more please!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the painted tiles! Turkey sounds wonderful. Did you try their coffee? I hear it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Emma - I'm so glad you like the tile photos! I am a bit besotted myself. Just uploaded a bunch of pics on Flickr if you want to see more :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.