24 June 2014

Typography Tuesday : Worry is Creative Kryptonite (Part One)

I've been struggling with creating a Typography Tuesday post for some months now because most of my favourite literary quotes aren't really appropriate for this kind of thing. They tend to fall in to the 'life/love is hard and confusing and complex and we're all going to die but isn't it a wonderful, wonderful ride' category, rather than the 'yay everything is great and you are great and we can all do great things' category. (I may have some issues with motivational quotes but that's a whole other blog post...) 

Then I realised - the quote doesn't have to come from a book or even a movie, it could come from anywhere! So obvious, so simple, so stupid of me not to realise that earlier! Sigh. 

Here's some thoughts from Josh Johnson on getting out there with your camera and taking some snaps:

Josh Johnson is a professional photographer who fell in love with Instagram in the early days. He's since gone on to garner a ridiculous number of followers and create an amazing, supportive, ever-expanding Instagram community.

This quote is from a recent 'Josh's Journal' post, and it hit home. It's about photography but it could apply to anything. How often do you let the perfect get in the way of actually doing something? For me, so very often. The thought of not being able to create at the level I want stops me from going out there and creating at all, which means I'll never actually get to the level I want. Vicious cycle huh? 

I need to remember that even the best of the best take photos that suck. It's just that they don't pay them too much attention. They move on quickly, shoot some more.

So, memo to self - spend less time fretting over the ridiculously high standard that exists only in your head and spend more time chasing your next loser. You might even find a gem along the way. 

The font used is the delightful Mr Anteater, one of my most favourite hand drawn fonts ever.

10 comments:

  1. I love this, Emily!!! Especially the part about chasing your next loser! I'm on it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Caroline - there's something very freeing (and strangely motivating) about taking the pressure off. I'm chasing my next loser right now too :)

      Delete
  2. Love it! I can relate. Did a photoshoot yesterday with two pups. Probably took around 85-100 images. Around 30 are keepers. I don't even preview as I snap anymore. Just keep shooting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty good hit rate Jennifer! I preview every now and again to check my settings are okay, but I like the idea of 'just keep shooting'. (ps. I love your doggy shots, they have such personality!)

      Delete
  3. I have another one courtesy of Catherine Deveny and her Gunnas writing class which is something like Dare to fail greatly! It has inspired me when I have the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find the exact quote please send it to me! I'd love to read it x

      Delete
  4. love it! And I would love to read your post about your issues with motivational quotes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that font is marvelous, and the quote is so inspiring for continuing my work! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it Sofia - there's a few more coming up that I think you might enjoy too :)

      Delete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.